host check command theory of operation question

Jason Lancaster jason at skynetweb.com
Mon Apr 28 21:38:33 CEST 2003

Hey everyone,
I was playing around with Nagios today and disabled all of my host
check_commands in my configuration file. Once I did that, the web interface
had all "hosts" up except a few who are always grey and pending. The grey
and pending ones appeared to be ones that had one or more services down.

I remember reading in the manual that if you disable host-check-commands it
will assume each host is up. This does not appear how it operates because
there were hosts that appeared pending when a service was down.

I'm trying figure out when exactly Nagios performs the host-check-command
operation to see if a host is up. I'd hope for efficiency it will only
perform a host-check-command when necessary, so my assumption leads me to
believe that a host check_command is performed when one or more services
fails. Can anyone confirm this or correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks!
Jason Lancaster
Intranet Administrator, Affinity Internet