Check cpu and memory

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Mon Apr 28 15:56:28 CEST 2003

There are two approaches.  One is nsclient, which you can find a link for on
the Nagios downloads page and the other is SNMP.  Both have advantages and
disadvantages.

Quick and dirty list of pros and cons:

Nsclient is dead simple.  Easy to install on servers and fairly easy to
configure on Nagios.  Downside is that you are adding software to a server
and there are some "glitches" with nsclient.  These glitches are mainly
cosmetic and some require a bit of extra finagling to get around (i.e.
sometimes it doesn't win the battle for it's port and another service takes
it during boot.  This means a reboot again to reclaim to port-hopefully).

SNMP is also quite simple but you have to get your head into OID's.  Some
consider SNMP insecure and it can be if not implemented properly.  Done
right it is reasonably secure (ok, secure might be a strong word) and gives
you access to all sorts of wonderful metrics otherwise not available.

My 2 cents, keep the change.

dean