parent_hosts option for remote hosts is not recognised

Ralf Mellis testrm at kisters.com
Mon Apr 28 16:05:20 CEST 2003

Tom DE BLENDE wrote:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#host
>
> parents:      This directive is used to define a comma-delimited list of
> short names of the "parent" hosts for this particular host. Parent hosts
> are typically routers, switches, firewalls, etc. that lie between the
> monitoring host and a remote hosts. A router, switch, etc. which is
> closest to the remote host is considered to be that host's "parent".
> Read the "Determining Status and Reachability of Network Hosts" document
> located here for more information. If this host is on the same network
> segment as the host doing the monitoring (without any intermediate
> routers, etc.) the host is considered to be on the local network and
> will not have a parent host. Leave this value blank if the host does not
> have a parent host (i.e. it is on the same segment as the Nagios host).
> The order in which you specify parent hosts has no effect on how things
> are monitored.

Hups, is there a typo in the pdf doc? I have read the chapter
"Determining Status and Reachability..." in the pdf doc V 1.0 from
08-28-2002...

And there, in the paragraph "Remote Hosts" is the line:

"The <parent_hosts> option in the host definition..."

So I used this option name and not "parents".
After using "parents" all works fine.

Thanks.

--
Ralf Mellis