Check_disk_smb problem

Thu Apr 24 12:58:18 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

This plugins usage instructions were not clear to me either so I
'improved' it ...

Here's my usage instructions

-w, --warning=STRING == \d+ | \d+% | \d+(\.\d+)?(K|M|G|T)
   Either the amount of free space __below__ which a warning will be
generated (followed by a unit suffix), Or
   Percent of used space __above__ which a warning will be generated
(Default: 85%)
-c, --critical=STRING == \d+ | \d+% | \d+(\.\d+)?(K|M|G|T)

   Either the amount of free space __below__ which a critical will be
generated (followed by a unit suffix), Or
   Percent of used space __above__ which a critical will be generated
(Default: 95%)

   if %    theshholds, Critical if disk_usage% >= crit_threshold, Warn
if warn_threshold <= disk_usage% < crit_thresh
   if byte threshold,  Critical if free_bytes  <= crit_threshold, Warn
if warn_threshold >= free_bytes  > crit_thresh

Therefore since the thresholds are specified as Percentages, the first
inequalities apply so

'- First the script tells me to specify a WARNING thresold < CRITICAL
thresold. I don't understand the WARN threshold sould be > CRIT
threshold for free space.'

then WARN is < CRITICAL (so warn if 85% is used, alert if 95%).

You are right. Every time I look at this it's confusing. An unreasonable
trade-off, in my view, for plugin helpfulness - will interpret any
definition of disk usage - against ambiguity.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.