service dependencies not working

Thomas Linden tom at izb.net
Wed Apr 23 16:51:51 CEST 2003

Hello folks,

we are using nagios 1.06b under FreeBSD (from the ports collection),
which runs in a chrooted ram-disk. It works fine so far.

The only problem we encounter is that it ignores service dependencies.

I configured the following dependency:

define servicedependency{
        host_name                       sw01
        service_description             PING_FARM
        dependent_host_name             fw
        dependent_service_description   PING_NMS
        execution_failure_criteria      u,c
        notification_failure_criteria   u,c
        }

the host 'sw01' has the service 'PING_FARM' (which uses check_ping) and
'fw' has the service 'PING_NMS'. AFAIK this means 'sw01' depends upon
'fw'.

The problem is that if I take down the host 'fw' nagios still executes
'PING_FARM' on host 'sw01'. Since 'sw01' is no more reachable nagios
sends a 'host down' event notification about 'sw01'. But it shouldn't
do that as I understand the dependency configuration above.

Any ideas?

regards, Tom