Unpredictable service check times fixed?

Mateo Carr mcarr at apple.com
Thu Apr 17 02:46:57 CEST 2003

Thank you for all of your help.

I am running nagios on OS X. There were a couple of challenges to
getting everything compiled and happy, but nothing insurmountable. It
is a really great piece of software, and we are looking forward to
getting it fully deployed.

It turns out that my issue was actually that I was bouncing off of the
user maxproc limit and not running out of memory as previously
thought.. I determined this for certain by making a small change to the
source so that it says which errno condition is set.

Now that I have worked around that issue, I have one more quick
question, which is related to this situation being triggered to begin
with. It seems that over time the service checks all get clumped closer
and closer together. I have been sampling the number of nagios user
processes every 5 seconds, and over time a pattern like the following
emerges: 9 9 9 9 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 48 170 64 76 33 31 21 47 55 43 21 17
13 9 6 6 6 6 ......etc.... This grouping of checks is confirmed by
looking at the scheduling queue. My question is has anybody else
observed such behavior? I realize that I could set the
max_concurrent_checks manually as a workaround, it just that I would
prefer to let nagios sort it out.

Thanks!
**Mateo