nagios && rrd

Fred Albrecht Fred.Albrecht at za.tiscali.com
Wed Apr 16 09:09:49 CEST 2003

Please visit www.tiscali.co.za

Hi Stanley

> If you mean a 3 month interval from the current time, then
> provided that
> the RRD has been designed to keep that number of data points (ie the
> RRA that uses only 1 data point contains that number of rows eg
<snip>
> rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
> rra[0].rows = 32768
> rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
> rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
> rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
> rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
> rra[0].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
> rra[0].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
> )

Ah, I've learnt something today! ;)  From my background with cricket I never really messed with the details of rrd, cricket simply configured the rrd for me.  The default time (I think) that cricket takes is to keep the records "uncompressed" for about two days, then averaging starts.

How would rrd handle 3000+ datafiles with 32k+ rows each?  Any idea what kind of performance impact this will have?

Thanx for clearing this up.

:)
fred