nagios && rrd

Wed Apr 16 08:38:52 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter but say I think you are
mistaken.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:45:56AM +0200, Fred Albrecht wrote:

> Except off course if your client does not want data loss, like mine
> does.  They need to go back to any five minute interval,
>  anywhere in a three month range.

If you mean a 3 month interval from the current time, then provided that
the RRD has been designed to keep that number of data points (ie the
RRA that uses only 1 data point contains that number of rows eg

Here is an RRA that keeps 5 minute observations for 3 months

filename = "SONI_RTM.rrd"
rrd_version = "0001"
step = 300
last_update = 1050059101
ds[TotalDelayAverage].type = "GAUGE"
ds[TotalDelayAverage].minimal_heartbeat = 600

rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 32768
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[1].unknown_datapoints = 0
)

If on the other hand, you mean any 5 minute interval with no loss of
accuracy, in the life of the monitoring, then as you say, it's necessary
to store the data exactly in the persistent store of your choice - and
worry about its maintenance etc.

I think however that for a lot of time series data, the RRD approach of
keeping whatever number of observations you declare when you design your
RRDs - depending on queries, graph sizes etc - and consolidate that data
with averages or maxima for periods longer than that time, you are get
the best of both worlds.

Perhaps I am missing the point ?

> fred

Stanley Hopcroft