Host notifications do not work when dependencies are enabled

Campisi, Joseph JCampisi at iona.edu
Mon Apr 14 21:25:31 CEST 2003

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with host notifications and host dependencies.

If I do NOT have any dependencies defined, host notification works
properly. As a test I brought down host navgw1.

HOST ALERT: navgw1;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

HOST ALERT: navgw1;DOWN;SOFT;2;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

HOST ALERT: navgw1;DOWN;SOFT;3;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

HOST ALERT: navgw1;DOWN;SOFT;4;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

HOST ALERT: navgw1;DOWN;HARD;5;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

HOST NOTIFICATION:
networkservices;navgw1;DOWN;host-notify-by-sound;CRITICAL - Plugin timed
out after 10 seconds

HOST NOTIFICATION:
networkservices;navgw1;DOWN;host-notify-by-pager;CRITICAL - Plugin timed
out after 10 seconds

HOST NOTIFICATION:
networkservices;navgw1;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed
out after 10 seconds

SERVICE ALERT: navgw1;C: Drive Space;CRITICAL;HARD;1;Socket timeout
after 10 seconds

SERVICE ALERT: navgw1;smtp;CRITICAL;HARD;1;Socket timeout after 10
seconds

HOST ALERT: navgw1;UP;HARD;1;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.69 ms

HOST NOTIFICATION: networkservices;navgw1;UP;host-notify-by-sound;PING
OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.69 ms

HOST NOTIFICATION: networkservices;navgw1;UP;host-notify-by-pager;PING
OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.69 ms

HOST NOTIFICATION: networkservices;navgw1;UP;host-notify-by-email;PING
OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.69 ms

SERVICE ALERT: navgw1;C: Drive Space;OK;HARD;1;C:\ - total: 8.42 Gb -
used: 1.85 Gb (22%) - free 6.57 Gb (78%)

SERVICE ALERT: navgw1;smtp;OK;HARD;1;SMTP OK - 0 second response time

(both notifications for down and recovery work fine)

If I have a host dependency defined, I did the same test bringing host
navgw1, and I do NOT get notified.

[...]

Does anyone have any idea?  Here is an example of my cfg files.

Thanks,

Joe

define host{

        name                            generic-host

        check_command                   check-host-alive

        max_check_attempts              5

        notification_interval           240

        notification_period             24x7

        notification_options            d,u,r

        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled

        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled

        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled

        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data

        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts

        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!

        }

define host{

        use             generic-host

        host_name       navgw1