general notifications setup question.

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri Apr 11 16:40:03 CEST 2003

On 11 Apr 2003, Jeff McKeon wrote:

> Ok,  thanks to the help of several people on this list I've got nagios
> monitoring all the UPS's in my data center.  I've got an 8 port serial
> card in my nagios server that connects to each of my 7 ups's.  So I have
> 7 check_ups services set up directly on my nagios machine.
>
> The issue I have is this.  My sys admin has a pager that get's paged
> with notifications from nagios.  I only have the pager set to get
> critical pages because if it received every warning, he'd woken up all
> night for non critical issues.
>
> A UPS going to battery power however is a critical issue and time
> sensitive so I DO want these warning notification to be sent to his
> pager.  Is there an elegant way to do this?
>
> Also, I'm not sure I fully understand the -w and -c settings for
> check_ups.  I know they are the number of seconds for warning state and
> critical state but what determines a warning state and a critical state?
>
> If I have it set for -w 30 and -c 120 does that mean that when the UPS
> goes to battery power and stays there for 30 seconds, its a warning
> state?  Then once it's been on battery for > 120 seconds it goes to
> critical?  Also what does this translate into in terms of when the
> notifications actually go out.  Is it 30 seconds (for warning
> notification) and 5 tries?  And if there are 1 minute between tries that
> would put the first warning sent out at roughtly 5.5 minutes after going
> to battery power?
>
> A lot of questions I know, thanks for any help you can give...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Took a look at the code to refresh my memory -

-w and -c only apply if you specify a variable to check (LINE, BATTPCT,
LOADPCT) using the -v option (variable not verbose - doc needs a fix)
(You are probably not using -v)

you will get a CRITICAL if "On Battery && Low Battery"
you will get a WARNING if "On Battery" OR "Low Battery" OR "Replace Battery"

(code needs a bit of cleanup for the help)

I would setup up another contactgroup/contact for the UPS such that the
warning messages will get paged.

--
-sg