can't get e-mail notifications..

Egidijus Antanaitis antaegid at takas.lt
Thu Apr 10 21:18:42 CEST 2003

Hi all,
    got stuck with configuring notifications by e-mail. It seems, nagios
attempts to execute the notification script and successfully, but somewhy I
do not receive an e-mail. In ../var/nagios.log:

[1049978345] HOST NOTIFICATION:
root;nt1;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10
seconds

I am sure nagios executes the notification script, because when i incorectly
set the notification command, I have seen such a record:

[1049978345] Warning: Attempting to execute the command "/bin/echo "" |
/sbin/mail -s "host notification by email" antaegid at takas.lt resulted in a
return code of 127.  Make sure the script or binary you are trying to
execute actually exists...

When all is correctly set, the message somewhere disapears. The same
command, executed from shell, works correctly - it sends the mail.
My mailserver is on the other linux box and is running qmail. Second day
wasted and tons of documentation read on this question. What a hell am I
missing?

Egidijus