Questions on monitoring cron jobs

Ski Kacoroski ski at insightful.com
Sat Apr 5 17:30:07 CEST 2003

Hi,

I maintain several unix servers that run cron jobs that send me email each day (upwards of 100 emails per day).  Many of these are things like:

- checked antivirus dat file - no need to update
- updated antivirus dat file
- ran antivirus scan - no viruses found
etc...

I would like to use Nagios to monitor these.  Has anybody on this list used Nagios in this manner.  I can think of a few options:

1. Write a plugin that triggers the job and have it run once per day via nrpe.  Sometimes the jobs fail and I think this might work good because perhaps nagios could resubmit the job after an hour if it fails instead of waiting an entire day (e.g. recovery).

2. Run the jobs from cron and have Nagios read the email.  Nagios could also run a recovery script if they fail.

3. Have the jobs write to syslog and use Nagios check_log plugin.  I would have to figure out how to change the jobs to write to syslog.  I have linux, solaris 2.5 - 2.9, sunos 4.1.4, hpux, aix, irix, and true64 unix so this could be a bit of a job.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments are most appreciated.  I really like Nagios so far (it monitors my network devices, windows servers, and the unix servers listed above).

Thanks in advance.

cheers,

ski
IT Manager Insightful