Configuring an HP-UX Startup Script

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Apr 3 16:37:20 CEST 2003

Hi there,

I have the NRPE 1.8 client running as a standalone daemon on an HP-UX machine. I
am trying to get it to run automatically on bootup and
do an automatic shutdown.

The easiest solution has been for me to create a single-line startup script
which invokes the nrpe client. The client is started via an S script
in the /sbin/rc2.d directory. There are two problems with this approach. First,
when the system does boot up, and lists the services as being
started, the client is started but the listing for the client shows a blank
space while the other daemons names are mentioned. Second, when
shutting down the workstation, there is no way to know if the nrpe daemon is
being successfully turned off.

The altenative option is to clone an existing startup script and modify that to
suit the nrpe client. I have done that, and although the script can
start the nrpe client, it is unable to stop it. I have included the script in
this e-mail.

The question is, what is the correct syntax for stopping the nrpe client via the
startup script?

 <<Startup Script.txt>>