Eventlog

Russell Adams RLAdams at Kelsey-Seybold.com
Wed Apr 2 23:43:05 CEST 2003

Don't get me wrong about Nagios, I use it to monitor all the disks,
processes, and nics on my hosts, but it doesn't quite fit into the
logging scheme. Nagios is very good at operational monitoring, but I
use Cricket for trend data on hosts and networks, and syslog-ng with
Logmucher for system logs.

Having used several log parsing packages, I found LogSentry was quite
good, but its now unavailable. Cisco bought Psionic Software
(www.psionic.com) and all their software (LogSentry, PortSentry,
HostSentry) is offline, though originally GPL'ed. :P

About 8 months ago when I setup my central syslog host, I decided on
syslog-ng with a multi-host directory hierarchy
(/var/log/HOSTS/hostname/year/month/day/loglevel). I also evaluated
Logmuncher at that time. I've found I prefer Logmuncher's flexibility
with my setup. A minor modification to Logmuncher to support the
multi-host directory hierarchy and I've used it ever since. It works
much like LogSentry, having dictionaries of regexp statements that
match patterns in syslog messages to ignore, warn about by default, or
immediately notify the admin as critical. As it stands, I have a
common dictionary across my hosts, and then host specific dictionaries
for ignore, warn, and critical. It sends email reports, and is
configured to send critical emails to my pager via email. Logmuncher
runs only on my central host at 5 minute intervals.

I haven't encountered any recurring critical messages. A bad disk
block once it has occurred could go on the ignore list I suppose, with
any further errors being caught by the default warning trap. Most of
my recurring logs are informational logging messages that can be
explicitly ignored. So long as the regexp is specific enough about
what to ignore, any change in the message should result in the message
becoming a warning by default, which is quite desireable.

Once I put my systems on my central log host, it took about 3 days of
wading through the spam to get my pattern dictionaries correct, with
minimal updates ever since.

One tool I've been searching for but haven't found is something to
help me identify duplicate log messages for purposes of tabulating
them and putting them into Logmuncher. Multiple messages where only
the PID changes get quite frustrating. If I could feed a file into a
tool that I could tell "return all messages that match 95% as one
message with the ambiguous parts *'d out", it would greatly speed up
the time required to make pattern files. Right now I tend to remove
PID data by columns and then doing "sort | uniq -c | sort -rn" to see
common messages, but its still quite spammy.

Archiving the log file using the multi-host directory hierarchy I
setup can be a pain, but on the bright side log rotation is
automatic. I've created a shell script to perform archives on data
older than 2 months. This also limits the number of offset files that
have to be searched.

If I've not sufficiently elaborated, I'll be happy to answer any
further questions.

Russell