Eventlog

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 2 21:40:38 CEST 2003

Very interesting.  Thought provoking, even.

We're using the Perl version of check_log here for checking for 'warning'
type msgs, as well as a tweaked version of same checking for 'critical' type
msgs.  It's been pretty good, but has been perplexing at times how best to
handle things, not the least of which deals with the issue of central vs.
host-based syslog scrubbing.  One issue is how to stop repeated
notifications once you're aware of the problem, eg, a bad disk block.  At
the individual host level, I've set check_log.pl to be volatile, since it
fit the description (and since the non-volatile behaviour was problematic).

I'd be interested in hearing how you dealt with issues such as this.

This relates to Nagios, and yet it doesn't.  If noone else on the list jumps
in before the end of the day, maybe you and I can take this off-list.

jc