CHECK_SNMP help and syntax

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Apr 2 05:46:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 NOC at eiiecomm.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have quite a few snmp traps that I need to check on Nagios. If possible.
>  I am new to snmp traps and would appreciate any help with the following
> list:
>
> NIC Status:             Up, Down, errors
>
> Linux Processes:        kernel, and other core processes like IKE, IPSEC,
> IPTABLES?
>
> IDS:                    SNORT mib and associated traps
>
> Memory  :               Memory usage and thresholds
>
> CPU:                    utilization and thresholds
>
> Hardware:               Power Supply voltages
>                         CPU Temp
>                         Hard Drive S.M.A.R.T
>                         Case removal
>
> IPSEC:                  Tunnel status
>                         Avg Latency
>                         Traffic Load
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Hall

Hi Mike

SNMP traps are not the all that you need if the list you want to monitor
includes most of the above.

SNMP traps only exist for some pre-defined conditions and unless your are
coding a new agent, you probably won't see them.

Instead I would suggest doing active checks.

NIC status - line status can be monitored via snmp if agent is on system.
 (check_ifoperstatus)

NIC errors - an individual error is not as important as the rate of
errors.  To capture the rate info you need to use another rate capture
tool like MRTG or Cricket and then alarm based on the rates captured
there.  (check_mrtg, check_rrd_data)

Processes - check_procs for process status

IDS - snort mibs and traps - active query of mib object via check_snmp
and/or integration of traps via passive service checks

Memory/CPU - check_mem/check_load

Hardware - depends on the device - Compaq servers with Insight agents
or cisco routers use SNMP, linux with lmsensors - need scripts

IPsec - different tools (check_ping for latency, check_ifoperstatus for
tunnel status, check_mrtg/check_rrd_data)

--

-sg

PS - just send one message a day please ;)