Confusion over service definitions for passive checks

Jason Marshall jasonm at kelman.com
Fri Sep 27 21:53:50 CEST 2002

> As I understand the docs, I *must* have a service definition for each passive
> check, and each service definition must specify a command.  And therin lies
> the problem; what sort of command should be specified for a passive check?
> It makes no sense to me.  Given that the check is passive, nagios has no
> need to execute a command.

Hi John, once you know what the command part of the passive check is for,
you'll wonder what the confusion was all about.

If you have staleness-checking enabled, passive services that go stale
will run whatever command you have in the command section of the check!

So, if you want stale stuff to go into a warning state, you'd run a
command that says "Hey, I'm stale" and returns 1 (WARNING), or 2
(CRITICAL).

Very handy, but only for staleness checking.

---
Jason Marshall, Unix Geek, Kelman Technologies, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada.

  From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
    "Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."

  "I have great faith in fools:
     Self confidence my friends call it."  -Edgar Allan Poe