feature requests?

Nicholas Paufler npaufler at incentre.net
Thu Sep 26 00:59:13 CEST 2002

What's the best way to submit a feature request?

I'm starting to add quite a number of hosts to my configuration  and I was
thinking that there was probably a better way of doing things.

Imagine a directory structure like this:

<nagiosconfdir>/hosts
<nagiosconfdir>/hostgroups
<nagiosconfdir>/contacts
etc etc

Each of those directories can then contain an infinite number of config
files which are all read and included when Nagios starts up. This would be
significantly easier to read and would allow you to break things down with
no real effort.
Want to add a new host? Just add a new file to the /hosts directory. Want to
remove one? Just remove the file. If that was too much seperation, you could
have groups of related servers in one config file so they could be handled
en masse.

Other benefits would be that this would make it even easier to write tools
to generate config files for the different sections since they wouldn't need
to actually edit any files, just add or remove them.

Thoughts?

Nicholas Paufler
Systems Administrator
The Internet Centre