Nagios 1.0b6 on FreeBSD... problems and fixes

Nicholas Paufler npaufler at incentre.net
Tue Sep 24 23:33:17 CEST 2002

I've just gone through installing Nagios on a FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE machine
out of the ports collection. It went well and thanks to the documentation
I've almost been able to get everything working.

I did run into one out-right problem (which I have confirmed still exists in
the CVS tree) which is easy to fix. In the side.html file the link to
"Service Detail" is linked as:
a href="/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=all"

However, that wasn't working for me so I poked at it and by comparing it to
some of the other links, realized it should be:
a href="/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?hosts=all"

(notice, hosts vs host in the other link).
This works and the link now displays the full service detail page as
expected.

The other problem I haven't been able to figure out. When I click the
"tactical overview" link I get an error page telling me "Error: Could not
read host and service status information!" along with the explanation that
Nagios may not actually be running. However, it definitely is since every
other page works and shows my correctly authenticated.

To further test this, I tried running the tac.cgi file from the commandline.
I set the appropriate environment variables (REMOTE_USER to the user I have
setup, and REQUEST_METHOD to GET). Oddly enough, this works. If I change the
REQUEST_METHOD to PUT, though, all of the cgi's segfault and core dump so it
doesn't like that, despite what the warning you get while running from the
commandline implies. I've looked at the commandline output of tac.cgi and it
is showing what I'd expect and is showing all of the services I'm monitoring
as up.

I'm rather confused. My configs pass the tests and all of the other CGI's
are working and tac.cgi works from the commandline ... so why isn't it
working when I try and access it over http?

Nagios (1.0b6) and Apache (1.3.25) are both fresh installs out of ports and
I don't have any additional modules loaded yet so this is as stock as it
gets.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Nicholas Paufler
Systems Administrator
The Internet Centre