Host Group Notifications - Possible display suppression?

Nolan Martin Nolan.Martin at co.travis.tx.us
Thu Sep 19 22:20:26 CEST 2002

I am at a loss on how to best configure Nagios to handle my environment
needs and would appreciate input and suggestions.

In my environment, my department oversees the overall health of the
entire network and its devices.  There are also individual departments
with their own administrators that provide dedicated support for their
devices.

I have set up host groups that reflect the major groupings of devices,
such as NetWare servers, NT Servers, Routers, etc.  In turn, I have
assigned appropriate contacts for my department for each of those host
groups.

The problem I have is how to handle notifications for devices that
belong to another department.  I only want the department admins to
receive specific notifications for their devices.  As such, I can't just
simply add them as a contact groups for the overall host group of
NetWare servers (for example).  I understand I can create additional
host groups and assign the hosts to more than one group.

But...  if I go that route, I will then have a whole range of host
groups displayed on each console.  I am happy with my major groupings
and don't want to clutter the console with individual department
groupings as well.

Is there a way to suppress the display of a host group within each of
the web console screens?

If not, can anyone suggest another way to handle this within the
current boundaries of Nagios?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Nolan