Blocked router in host list

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Sep 19 18:14:16 CEST 2002

Take a look at check_sensors... It's fairly simple and straightforward
and could easily be modified to do the traceroute check.

Traceroute and ping utilize two different types of ICMP packets. From
the traceroute man page "Traceroute utilizes the  IP  protocol  `time
to  live'  field  and attempts to elicit an ICMP TIME_EXCEEDED response
from each gateway along the path to some host." For security reasons,
ping is typically blocked to prevent ping floods etc... Since there are
no known DOS attacts related to single packet ICMP requests, they're
typically allowed as they're very useful in troubleshooting.

Marc