Blocked router in host list

Bas Rijniersce bas at brijn.nu
Thu Sep 19 17:22:19 CEST 2002

Hi,

>Just my $0.02, but it's generally not a good idea to be telneting to
>routers you don't own or maintain ;)

:-) Well, we hired them to provide us with save network. So i'm just
checking how well their security alerting is working :-) They didn't call me
yet

>What you really need is a check_icmp probe that uses TTL. I'm not aware
>of any that exist right now. I suppose you could write a wrapper to
>traceroute itself. Pass the wrapper the host name or IP you want to
>trace to and what to look for (probably the same has the host name or
>IP), issue the traceroute command and watch the output. If you see the
>hostname/IP you're looking for, then everything's great. If not then
>something's wrong. This could potentially be a highly latent kind of
>check though, especially if the host _is_ down and you have to wait for
>traceroute to time out. The -m switch might be useful.

THat's a good idea. I'm not yet very familair with the way the plugins are
setup. And also i'm not fully aware why a traceroute is showing the host,
while a ping is not (but my network book will show me :).. Using the output
is a simple and effective way (if you work around timeout problems)

--
Marc