Blocked router in host list

Tom DE BLENDE tdeblend at gcc.dhl.com
Wed Sep 18 08:44:51 CEST 2002

Hi,

I'm still a NetSaint 0.0.7 user. As it happens I added a host without
a check command for the first time yesterday, and it worked OK. I
think it might have something to do with the "log_initial_states"
value in your nagios.cfg. At least, there is such a value in the
netsaint.cfg, so I assume Nagios has a similar setting. Try it out.

There is not a real overview on all plugins that are available. You
have the official plugins at sourceforge for starters
(http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/). Then there's the contribs as
well (http://www.netsaint.org/download/contrib/plugins/). Subhendu has
got some home brewed plugins
(http://guinness.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~sghosh/netsaint/). And then
every now and then things get posted here and kept aside in the
contribs by Subhendu if useful.

As far as Citrix is concerned: in the beginning there was nothing :-)
The only thing you could do was indeed do a check on the TCP port
(1494). This however only tells you whether something is listening on
that port:

[root at netsaint root]# /usr/local/netsaint/libexec/check_tcp server -p
1494
TCP OK - 0 second response time on port 1494

As I am responsible for a high availability Citrix farm, this was not
good enough. So I've written a VBS script that is scheduled every five
minutes or so on the Citrix servers and reports whether Remote Logons
are enabled or disabled on that server. The result is then written in
the external command file by means of a command line SSH client. I've
reposted that script a few days ago. However, it does not actually
check the service itself.

But it is already something. If something is listening on the TCP port
and the logons are enabled, chances are you can use the service. The
best plugin for Citrix however, was a Big Brother plugin that checks
for the availability of published applications. Unfortunately the
syntax of the plugin output is totally different and the plugin could
not be used as it was. So I "ported" it to NetSaint and posted the
result one or two days ago.

[root at netsaint root]#
/usr/local/netsaint/libexec/check_citrix_apps.pl
OK - All published applications are available.

Those are the three ways to monitor Citrix (as far as I know, and I've
been following these mailing lists for some time now). If anyone else
has got another way, please do tell :-)

Finally: there is a pdf version of the NetSaint docs, so I guess there
will be one of Nagios as well in the future. I assume people are
waiting to do the effort of converting the docs until the stable
release of Nagios.

Kind regards,
Tom

Bas Rijniersce wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I started with Nagios yesterday and i'm very impressed and started to map
> our corparate WAN/LAN. Some of the WAN links are going over routers that we
> don't admin. These are I guess blocked by firewalls. I did a nmap on them
> and they don't show any open ports (let see how good their security
> monitoring is ;-)
>
> I entered the router in the hosts.cfg with any check commands, also no
> services are bound to it. If I understood the document well enough, leaving
> out the check_command should give me a host with assumed state always up.
> Unfortunately this isn't the case. It still showing as undetermined.
>
> What to try?
>
> Another questions, is there somewhere a good overview of how to implement
> all the monitors and tricks with them. In the archives I saw some trick with
> check_udp and check_tcp for Citrix monitoring. An overview would be
> excellent
>
> The last questions, I only found HTTP docs for nagios, is there also a
> PS/PDF version available?
>
> Kind regards,
> Bas

Tom De Blende
Senior NT Infrastructure Analyst (Frango)
DHL Global Coordination Center - IT Department
Tel +32 2 713 42 62
Fax +32 2 713 52 00