detecting HUBS

Denis Pavani d.pavani at cineca.it
Tue Sep 17 09:48:01 CEST 2002

Hi. The only thing I may figure is that you monitor the data link status
of the switch interface on the uplink side of the HUB.
When it goes down, then the hub is unreachable. You can monitor it by snmp.

Nathan Hill wrote:

> Colin,
>
> It depends.  Different network equipment manufacturers
> define "Managed" in different ways.  If you can assign
> an ip address to the hub, then you could use the
> check_ping command to make sure the hub is working.
> With most enterprise level hubs that I've worked with
> that can have an assigned ip, if you could not ping
> it, then there was a problem with the hub.  Otherwise,
> the only other option that I can think of is run a
> check_ping on a host that you know is connected
> through the hub.  If the ping is good, then you are
> getting packets transmitted through the hub.  If the
> ping is bad, then you are not.
>
> Nathan
>

> --- Colin <raven at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
>>Greetings
>>
>>Does any know of a way to detect if a HUB is still
>>functioing?
>>Managed HUB and Switchs are easy, but plane HUB i
>>cant find a way to
>>tell if its still there
>>
>>Colin

Denis Pavani

CINECA
-
Comunicazioni e Sistemi Distribuiti

phone:+39 0516171411 / fax:+39 0516132198
http://www.cineca.it