detecting HUBS

Nathan Hill cmsu_tech2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 18:07:18 CEST 2002

Colin,

It depends.  Different network equipment manufacturers
define "Managed" in different ways.  If you can assign
an ip address to the hub, then you could use the
check_ping command to make sure the hub is working.
With most enterprise level hubs that I've worked with
that can have an assigned ip, if you could not ping
it, then there was a problem with the hub.  Otherwise,
the only other option that I can think of is run a
check_ping on a host that you know is connected
through the hub.  If the ping is good, then you are
getting packets transmitted through the hub.  If the
ping is bad, then you are not.

Nathan