Strange log-file permission problems..

Fredrik Wänglund Fredrik.Wanglund at datavis.se
Fri Sep 13 10:15:54 CEST 2002

(almost) every time I start Nagios it says
Warning: Cannot open log file '/var/log/nagios.log' for writing.
If I look at the file, its owned by root with perms 644.
I then change owner to nagios and everything is OK.
BUT, next time I restart Nagios the owner and perms are reset to root and 644. How is this done?? I start nagios as the user nagios, the file bin/nagios is owned by nagios, the processes is run by nagisos, root is not logged in at all on the system!!!
Mabye Ethan have included some kind of backdoor in Nagios:-)

/FredrikW