nagios cgi config file error

Lovell, Jay JLovell at innotrac.com
Fri Sep 6 22:17:21 CEST 2002

This is probably one that has been solved a thousand years ago, but I cannot
for the life of me figure it out.   Here's where I am.

I've installed nagios and gotten it configured in apache.
The appropriate alias entries have been made to httpd.conf in apache
Nagios is installed in the standard location /usr/local/nagios
the main screen shows in my browser.  (nagios through apache is working)

My error is this.  Any time I click on one of the cgi-bin's I get the
following error:

Error: Could not open CGI config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg' for
reading!
What I have done so far to troubleshoot this is the following:

The config files are there in that location.  (the obvious check)
the permissions are rw-rw-r--
they are owned by netsaint and the netsaint group
I can run the /usr/local/nagios/sbin/tac.cgi cgi program from the command
line as root and it works (returns html)
I can run the /usr/local/nagios/sbin/tac.cgi cgi program as the apache user
or the netsaint user and it works (returns html)
If I move the cgi.cfg to cgi.cfg.turned.off, I can reproduce the above error
from the command line (returns the above error)
I have an older installation of netsaint on the same box in
/usr/local/netsaint.
 - I have compared the permissions on the netsaint directories (down to
sbin) to the nagios permissions and they are the same.
 - Netsaint cgi's work fine.   Nagios cgi's do not.
There are no error messages on this in either nagios or apache's error logs.

When I run the cgi's through apache, they generate the above error.

There are no answers on this in the docs or the FAQ.   I could not find any
messages on the above error using the newsgroup search tool.  Anyone have
any ideas on this?   I'm flat out stumped on this.

Jay Lovell
Platform Architect
Innotrac Corporation
(678) 584-4022 office