Nagios 1.0b5 can't connect to MySQL Database

Ben Shellrude bshellrude at idyia.com
Fri Sep 6 19:11:58 CEST 2002

Hello all,
I am a Netsaint user of 1.5 years now.  However as I am in need of upgrading our Monitoring systems, I decided to go ahead and move to nagios.
My problem is simply this:Sep  6 12:00:09 monitor nagios: Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password '******'.  Status data will not be saved!
Sep  6 12:00:09 monitor nagios: Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password '*****'.  Retention data will not be processed or saved!
Sep  6 12:00:09 monitor nagios: Error: Could not re-connect to database server on host 'localhost' for status data.  I'll keep trying every 60 seconds...
Sep  6 12:00:09 monitor nagios: Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password '******' for comment data!
Sep  6 12:00:09 monitor nagios: Error: Could not connect to MySQL database 'nagios' on host 'localhost' using username 'nagios' and password '******' for downtime data!

I originally started with a statically linked MySQL 4 which quickly became obvious that it would not work.  I then downgraded my MySQL version to 2.23.52 and shared librarires, which provided the proper libs to successfully compile nagios with MySQL support.  This is when the above problem made itself know.  After trying a number of things, and examining debug output from MySQL it's been found that nagios isn't even making an attempt at connecting to the MySQL server.  Finally out of desparation I downgraded again to the official RPMS for my dist (RedHat 7.2) where the version is 3.23.22, re-compiled nagios with --enable-DEBUG5... still no kind of indication as to what the problem is either from nagios OR MySQL.
Has anyone seen this problem before?  I would appreciate any help/input that any one can provide on this.  I am at a loss.

Ben Shellrude
Sr. Network Analyst
IDYIA Inc.
Hosting Excellence Since 1972
900 - 167 Lombard Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3B 0V3
*NEW* Tel: 204-977-0181 ext. 225
*NEW* Fax: 204-977-0171
Pager: 204-784-3235
*Please update our new numbers in your records.*
www.idyia.com <http://www.idyia.com>

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert