external commands

Chris Ditri chrisd at better-investing.org
Fri Sep 6 17:54:43 CEST 2002

Hi.

I am having difficulty with getting external commands working.  I swear I have
done everything it says to in the docs.  This is what I have done:

I edited nagios.cfg and changed or added the following variables:
	check_external_commands=1
	command_check_interval=-1
	command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

I had created a user named nagios at time of installation.
I created a group called nagiocmd.
I made sure that the user nagios was a member of the nagiocmd group:
	usermod -G nagiocmd nagios
I made sure that the web-user was also a member of this group (in this case
that is user: apache):
	usermod -G nagiocmd apache
Just to CMA, I made the nobody user a member:
	usermod -G nagiocmd nobody
The directory /usr/local/nagios/var/rw already existed from install
I changed the ownership of that directory for user and group:
	chown nagios.nagiocmd /usr/local/nagios/var/rw
I changed the perms on that directory:
	chmod u+rwx /usr/local/nagios/var/rw
	chmod g+rw /usr/local/nagios/var/rw
	chmod g+s /usr/local/nagios/var/rw
I restarted both nagios and apache

Everytime I try to issue an external command, for example disable
notifications, I get the error:

	Error: Could not stat() command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'!

	The external command file may be missing, Nagios may not be running, and/or
			Nagios may not be checking external commands.

	An error occurred while attempting to commit your command for processing.

				Return from whence you came

What the heck am I missing?  I have done this on netsaint with no problems
what so ever, and it doesn't want to work here.

I did an ls -l on /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd and got this:
		prw-rw----    1 nagios   nagiocmd        0 Sep  6 10:28 nagios.cmd
Is that normal?

One interesting thing I found was that when I do an ls -ld on
/usr/local/nagios/var/rw I get this:

	drwxrwS---    2 nagios   nagiocmd     4096 Sep  6 10:28
	/usr/local/nagios/var/rw
I noticed the capital "S"... I don't ever rembmer that being capitol... could
that be it?  I don't know why it is capitalized, it never was before when I
excuted that command (I don't think).  I tried as well with chmod 2760 rw as
well, same deal.  I even set all perms to 000, and started over, still the
same.

I have read the docs a half dozen times here, and at least tripple checked
everything.... What the heck am I missing?

Thank you!

Chris