R: smtp service monitoring won't work

Massimo Cereda massimo.cereda at equart.com
Thu Sep 5 16:03:20 CEST 2002

Read this old email:

On Friday 09 August 2002 10:38, Massimo Cereda wrote:
> Hi everyone, I have installed nagios and modifying the sample
> configuration file. Everything is ok but check_smtp, return CRITICAL
> status but return "SMTP OK - 0 second response time". I have read on
> the Mailinglist archive that maybe a problem of the sample
> configuration.....anyone can help me?

I had this problem with checking the SMTP service on a MS Exchange Server
machine. I checked it by hand with ./check_smtp -H msxserv and it showed the
correct output but then didn't terminate correctly but waited until timeout. It seems that the plugin has problems with the response from the exchange
server on the 'MAIL' command the plugin sends.

I disabled the dummy command by commenting out the line
#define SMTP_USE_DUMMYCMD 1
in the sourcecode, recompiled the plugin and it works fine (I just use it for
the exchange server checking).

HTH,
Rüdiger

--
Rüdiger Wolf-Sebottendorff
Administrator Max-Planck-Institut for Biochemistry