Checking if a Port is Open

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Thu Oct 31 23:59:37 CET 2002

    SK> To check if a port is accessible from the outside world, just telnet
    SK> to the port. (i.e. telnet host 25)

I run nagios on the same server that is running sendmail.  The port is open
on my internal LAN so nagios will always be successful in monitoring and
connecting to the sendmail server.  My concern is with being able to monitor
that sendmail can be reached via port 25 (or that any server can be reached
via any arbitrary port) from the outside world.

Is there a way to have nagios on my internal somehow run a check into port 25
but via the outside world?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman at ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com