Checking if a Port is Open

Sean Knox sean.knox at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 31 23:04:16 CET 2002

To check if a port is accessible from the outside world, just telnet to
the port. (i.e. telnet host 25)

To see what ports your machine is listening to, the unix command is
"netstat tlu" to display all TCP and UDP listening ports. In the nagios
world, you can use "check_tcp" or check_udp to see if a TCP/UDP port is open

Sean