Large Numbers of Hosts (Re: Apan Configuration s)

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Oct 29 20:42:06 CET 2002

> Hey everyone,
>     I've seen several mentions of large numbers of hosts and services
> like this. At my organization, we're monitoring around 500. However,
> I've noticed some issues:
>
>     - The statusmap screen is completely unusable - there are so many
> hosts, they overlap almost completely, and are practically invisible.
> Should I just give up on the statusmap, or is there a solution?

You can do some filtering and scaling.  Check out the Drawing Layers and the
Layer Mode (Include/Exclude).

>     - The template configuration files are difficult to use (at least
> for me! :) over a certain number of hosts, due to the
> limitations of the
> config parser - every entry has to be one logical line. We
> have so many
> different host groups (we're pretty large, and have lots of devolved
> administration) that the "logical line" takes up probably
> four physical
> lines. Anyone have any strategies for overcoming this?

I've recently been revamping my config files.  I've added this line to
nagios.cfg:

   cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/configs

and put the following in there (and have been stripping out hosts.cfg and
services.cfg accordingly):

   HOSTGROUPS.cfg  (contains services where hostgroups are being used)
   TEMPLATES.cfg   (contains the templates normally in hosts.cfg
                    and services.cfg)

then on to the more mundane:

   hostname1.cfg   (contains host/service definitions for hostname1)
   hostname2.cfg   (contains host/service definitions for hostname2)

etc etc and so on.

There's also an RCS subdirectory, where each/every config file gets checked
in/out.

Once my conversion is complete, then anyone can work on an individual host's
config without impacting anyone else.  And I can set up a 'boilerplate'
config for quickly adding new hosts to the fold.

In your case, you could conceivably create separate .cfg files for each
individual definition.  The filename would descibe the hostname and the
service, eg, host1-http.cfg

If that starts to get a bit unwieldy, you could create subdirectories to the
configs directory, a sort of 'hash' to split up the various files into
logical groups (you'd have to figure out what's logical for your team).

jc