Large Numbers of Hosts (Re: Apan Configurations)

Rob King rob.king at wholefoods.com
Tue Oct 29 18:42:28 CET 2002

Hey everyone,
    I've seen several mentions of large numbers of hosts and services
like this. At my organization, we're monitoring around 500. However,
I've noticed some issues:

    - The statusmap screen is completely unusable - there are so many
hosts, they overlap almost completely, and are practically invisible.
Should I just give up on the statusmap, or is there a solution?

    - The template configuration files are difficult to use (at least
for me! :) over a certain number of hosts, due to the limitations of the
config parser - every entry has to be one logical line. We have so many
different host groups (we're pretty large, and have lots of devolved
administration) that the "logical line" takes up probably four physical
lines. Anyone have any strategies for overcoming this?

       That's about it really. Oh, and I'd like to thank everyone for
making/working with/supporting Nagios - we're in the process of
migrating away from a home-grown Big Brother-based solution, and the
difference is amazing. Thanks for all the help in advance.

       Rob