NTray: RFE

Robert Wagner Robert.Wagner at wausaubenefits.com
Mon Oct 28 20:32:27 CET 2002

As I wrote back privately to Jonathan:

   That actually should be coming when Nagios can generate some XML output
for NTray to poll. It's been requested and Ethan thought it was a good
idea, but it hasn't happened yet.

   Right now, since NTray is just polling the 'Status Summary' (status.cgi)
page and parsing out that HTML, it doesn't know whether any outages/warning
are acknowleged, scheduled, or otherwise. When this XML output is
available, NTray will request that instead, which should give a list of all
hosts/services in a non-okay state, and any 'extended information' like
that the outage is scheduled/acknowleged.

   In the meantime, maybe I'll take a crack at parsing out TAC.CGI
instead.. it shows that status, but there is a lot of similar looking HTML
generated in there that I will have to sift through. (darn HTML tables
anyway)

                         Rob

                    Jonathan Rozes
                    <jrozes at vinton       To:     "'Carroll, Jim P [Contractor]'"
                    .com>                 <jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com>, 'Robert Wagner'
                                          <Robert.Wagner at wausaubenefits.com>,
                    10/28/2002            nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                    12:57 PM             cc:
                                         Subject:     RE: [Nagios-users] NTray:  RFE

Seconded. NTray is *very* useful when everything is up, but virtually
useless when there are acknowledged alerts that sit around for any length
of
time. Pink would seem to be the color of choice since that's what Nagios
uses in the Tactical Overview display.

Thanks,
jonathan

+++ Jonathan Rozes, Manager, Information Technology, Will Vinton Studios