Problem with init script "nagios reload"

Daniel Geske daniel.geske at yoc.de
Mon Oct 28 14:00:00 CET 2002

Hi all,

I have a problem with the start script that came with nagios.
When nagios does not run I can start it with this command:

/etc/init.d/nagios reload
Running configuration check...done
Starting network monitor: nagios
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
27451 ?        00:00:00 nagios
  --  no problem.

But when it does run already and I use the same command /etc/init.d/nagios
reload I get this:

Running configuration check...done
/etc/init.d/nagios: status: command not found
Stopping network monitor: nagios
Starting network monitor: nagios
No lock file found in /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock

Sometimes the above message does not appear. Instead, it seems to stop, then
start nagios just fine. BUT then I suddenly get many many critical
notifications for all the passive checks nagios runs. I suppose nagios does
not shut itself down then. Instead, it just starts another instance. Then
process ONE picks up the passive check result, and process TWO notifies,
because it did not get any passive check results. So staff keeps on getting
OK, CRITICAL, OK, CRIT...etc.

How can I make 100% sure nagios completely shuts itself down before it
restarts?
Is there an alternative startup script I can use?
Has anybody else experienced similar problems?

I'd be happy to hear from you as soon as possible.
Sincerely

Daniel