3 Issues

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri Oct 25 03:26:25 CEST 2002

Some additional info would be useful (logs, error, platform, version)
We are not all psychics on the list.

On 24 Oct 2002, James Clark wrote:

> Nagios,
> I am having three issues. First let me try to best clearly ask these in
> hopes of a clear response.
>
> 1. My notifications are not being sent out. I have forced a hosts
> service down for example http and I do not receive any alerts via email.
> I believe my contact file is correctly setup and defined.In
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg I have enable_notifications=1. What is
> the problem and why am I not being sent alerts for down services?

Is you mail server setup correctly on the host?
Does the notify-by-email command work correctly on your system on the
command line?

> 2. In /usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg I have set use_authentication=1 but
> when I login as a user I can not view the pages due to a permission
> error. This is not an apache issue but rather an issue to access the cgi
> files with my username. I have the .htaccess file in my share and sbin
> folder so I am not sure what the problem is. Also when I login and
> provide my username and password the "Logged in as ?" is displayed in
> nagios.

You should read over the docs again. Only need one htaccess file AND it
needs to be readable by the apache user.

> 3. When I enable default_user_name=guest in cgi.cfg I am not able to add
> a comment due to the /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cwd file being set
> and reset to unwriteable permissions. When I chmod the file to 0777 it
> allows me to post a comment as guest or my user but then nagios changes
> the permissions back on this file. What should this be set to?

nagios.cmd will have 0660 perms by default.  Therefore you need to make
sure that the nagios user and the apache user are in a common group if
they are not the same user.