Configuring Multihomed Host

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Oct 25 01:42:04 CEST 2002

I would think you'd want to set up a dependancy rule.  Loosely speaking:

run test_A on interface_1
if success on interface_1
	ignore interface_2
else
	run test_A on interface_2
end

What you propose will possibly end up duplicating some tests.  For example,
NRPE tests.  A partition space check done from one interface will be no
different than the other interface (one would hope ;^).  But with the
proposed solution (below), if one of the interfaces goes down, then you'll
get a Critical alert for the partition space check (connection timed out).
I'm not sure that's desireable.

OTOH, if you have a web server bound to one port on one interface, and to
another port on the other interface, then yes, you'll want to keep them both
under scrutiny.

Just my $0.02.

jc