Setting up e-mail notifications.

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Oct 21 17:00:52 CEST 2002

A brief comment (and this is WAY off the charter of the list, so if you're
not curious about Jabber, hit Delete now ;).

I tried late last week to set up my own Jabber environment, just to test it
out.  (The idea of running an internal messaging server for keeping team
members across various floors in the loop is appealing.)  Managed to build
jabberd on Linux, no probs.  Did the config as stated in the docs (we're
behind a strict firewall).  Snarfed Exodus for Windows and tried to connect
to the server.  Tried to create a new account.  Got this error:  "An error
occurred trying to register your new account.  This server may not allow
open registration."

As near as I can tell, I'm permitting open registration.  I would have done
some Googling at the time, but this was a really low priority.  If something
springs to mind, send it my way.

(BTW, there's nothing obvious in the logfiles to indicate more clearly what
the problem is.)

jc