Setting up e-mail notifications.

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Oct 16 18:01:51 CEST 2002

My $0.02:

- e-mail notification works quite well
- pager notification works quite well
- these are defined out-of-the-box in misccommands.cfg, which are in turn
leveraged in contacts.cfg

As far as sending alerts via ICQ/MSN/Yahoo Messenger/AIM, you basically have
to figure out how to pass a message from the command line.

I'm having a quick look at RH Linux 7.3 right now, and it includes micq, a
command line interface to ICQ.  I've not played with it, so YMMV.  If it
doesn't do exactly what you want, you might want to try wrapping it in an
expect script.

Other than that, you might want to browse Sourceforge or Freshmeat to see
what possible AIM/ICQ/MSN/YM/etc programs exist which support input from the
command line.  (If I personally saw benefit to this approach, I'd be
investigating it.  But paging/SMS work fine for what I/we need.  :)

jc