Paint-by-numbers

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Oct 15 20:51:32 CEST 2002

My first comment is one of administrivia.  Please do not change the Subject,
as it breaks software which organizes mailing lists by subject thread.

> >You also say that Nagios is poorly documented (for) "the
> common user)."
> >Maybe I'm missing something, but Nagios appears (to me) to
> be targetted for
> >installation by an experienced UNIX/Linux systems
> administrator, not the
> >common user.
>
> But you have to admit, even the experienced admin guy
> scratches his head
> over it
> from time to time.

I scratch my head because I'm doing "what if" scenarios in my head.  And you
know what the solution to this is?  Just do it.

> >One of the problems of the "paint-by-numbers" approach is
> that everyone
> ends
> >up with the same picture.  Want sample config files?
> They're there.  Want
> >more examples/suggestions?  That's what this mailing list is for.
>
> Paint-by-number for common tasks is a big "time saver". I for
> one don't want
> to be working 60hr weeks cause it is taking me hours and hours to get
> something "simple" configured that if I had a basic "blue
> print" would have
> cut the time by 1/2.

1. The "blue print" here is called "documentation".  It exists.  And it
works.

2. If you're working 60hr weeks to get a basic configuration of Nagios to
work, perhaps you're in over your head.  Even half of that, 30 hours, is far
too much time to be spending on something as a rudimentary configuration of
Nagios.

> If the paint-by-numbers method is not good, then all the user manuals
> written over the past 30+yrs are incorrect and should be scrapped. :)

I've yet to see a paint-by-numbers manual in my 14 years as a UNIX systems
administrator.  You must be thinking about a book on how to paint by
numbers.

> This list is fantastic. Without this list, it would be almost
> impossible for
> new Nagios users to get the product up and running in a
> somewhat timely
> fashion.

New Nagios users?  Or new to UNIX/Linux systems administration?  An
executive in a company doesn't need to know the first thing about the
Bourne/bash shell, but equipped with a web browser on a functional (and
properly configured) computer, this executive could login to Nagios and
browse.

Hint:  http://www.apache.org/

> >Looking for help configuring Sendmail so you can get your
> notifications?
> >Again, that's not really what Nagios/this mailing list is
> about, but you
> >might find someone (like myself) willing to help out.
>
> Again, having a "top 10" problems or providing a basic config
> as part of the
> docs or a supplemental doc would be a great time saver.
> Sendmail is probably
> used by 70%+ of users to send out notifications

Don't get me started on Sendmail.  Or DNS/BIND.  Or how to build a firewall.
These are all subjects which take a modest amount of effort to understand
and configure properly.  If given a boilerplate example based on a number of
assumptions, it will invariably lead the majority of newbies to "it didn't
work/it broke/etc".  Then you're back into the loop of "what's your
configuration, what are you trying to do, etc."  Many times a person will
say what they're trying to accomplish at the micro level, while trying to
obscure what they're trying to accomplish in the big picture.  (I know,
because I've caught myself doing this very thing.)  In the final analysis,
these examples that I suspect you're looking for will lead you to believe
that it can only be done the one way.  I urge you to go back and *slowly*
read over the documentation.  (I say this, because I know I'm the impatient
type, when it comes to getting something as powerful as Nagios up and
running; I tend to skim lightly over what the salient points appear to be,
and if it doesn't work, drill down a bit at a time.  Patience is a virtue.)

As someone else has suggested, if you're not happy with the current
documentation, you're more than welcome to write up your own and either
offer it here, or ask Ethan to host it on his site.

> >Nagios is vast, of that there is no doubt.  If you feel
> you're qualified to
> >do the installation, then by all means, hang in there;
> frustration is a
> sign
> >that success is just around the corner.  :)
>
> You are correct, the amount of info supplied with Nagios is vast. But
> without more paint-by-numbers examples, new users to the
> product don't know
> what to ask for or how to ask it. They become frustrated and
> "give up".

It sounds as if you have some statistics (of newcomers to Nagios) to back up
your claim.  Please share with the list.

jc