Paint-by-numbers

doug.moore at ibill.com doug.moore at ibill.com
Tue Oct 15 19:43:47 CEST 2002

>You also say that Nagios is poorly documented (for) "the common user)."
>Maybe I'm missing something, but Nagios appears (to me) to be targetted for
>installation by an experienced UNIX/Linux systems administrator, not the
>common user.

But you have to admit, even the experienced admin guy scratches his head
over it
from time to time.

>One of the problems of the "paint-by-numbers" approach is that everyone
ends
>up with the same picture.  Want sample config files?  They're there.  Want
>more examples/suggestions?  That's what this mailing list is for.

Paint-by-number for common tasks is a big "time saver". I for one don't want
to be working 60hr weeks cause it is taking me hours and hours to get
something "simple" configured that if I had a basic "blue print" would have
cut the time by 1/2.

If the paint-by-numbers method is not good, then all the user manuals
written over the past 30+yrs are incorrect and should be scrapped. :)

This list is fantastic. Without this list, it would be almost impossible for
new Nagios users to get the product up and running in a somewhat timely
fashion.

>Looking for help configuring Apache?  That's not really what Nagios or this
>mailing list is about, but you might find someone willing to help you
there.

Would be great to have a "top 10" problems U might encounter installing
nagios with Apache. I would consider this almost a must. without a web
server Nagios is worthless. It shouldn't be a 700 page repeat of apache
docs, but a happy medium

>Looking for help configuring Sendmail so you can get your notifications?
>Again, that's not really what Nagios/this mailing list is about, but you
>might find someone (like myself) willing to help out.

Again, having a "top 10" problems or providing a basic config as part of the
docs or a supplemental doc would be a great time saver. Sendmail is probably
used by 70%+ of users to send out notifications

>Nagios is vast, of that there is no doubt.  If you feel you're qualified to
>do the installation, then by all means, hang in there; frustration is a
sign
>that success is just around the corner.  :)

You are correct, the amount of info supplied with Nagios is vast. But
without more paint-by-numbers examples, new users to the product don't know
what to ask for or how to ask it. They become frustrated and "give up".

the system manager.