Running Nagios Automatically at System Boot.

Marcus Nilsson Marcus.Nilsson at Cannondale.com
Tue Oct 15 15:09:26 CEST 2002

Hey all.
I have installed Nagios 1.0b6 and have about 35 hosts that are being
checked, everything works wonderful but I cant get Nagios to start
automatically at system boot. The software is running on a Slackware 8.1
box. I have run the 'make install-init' command witch installs the startup
script to /etc/rc.d/nagios. When I reboot, nothing happens. If I run the
script from command line Nagios starts fine, but give me some errors:

root at felix:/etc/rc.d# ./nagios start
Starting network monitor: nagios
/bin/bash: -l: unrecognized option
Usage:  /bin/bash [GNU long option] [option] ...
        /bin/bash [GNU long option] [option] script-file ...
GNU long options:
        --debug
        --dump-po-strings
        --dump-strings
        --help
        --init-file
        --login
        --noediting
        --noprofile
        --norc
        --posix
        --rcfile
        --restricted
        --verbose
        --version
        --wordexp
Shell options:
        -irsD or -c command or -O shopt_option          (invocation only)
        -abefhkmnptuvxBCHP or -o option
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 4039 ?        00:00:00 nagios
root at felix:/etc/rc.d#

I realize that since Slackware uses BSD init the startup script might not
work 'out of the box'. Can anyone give me a hint on how to modify the
script? My Nagios installation is in default path /usr/local/nagios/ .

Thanks

Marcus