Monitoring Compaq and Arcserve

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Sat Oct 12 02:50:20 CEST 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Dirk Johannson wrote:

> New on the list, so Hi to all first,
>
> and here's the question:
>
> I successfully set up Nagios for monitoring some standard services like
> pop3, imap, http... in a Linux/Windows environment.
>
> I also set up NSClient on my W2K-Servers and it works as well (disk and memory usage, CPU load...)
>
> So far - no problem!
>
> Now, here's the interesting part:
>
> Has anyone tried/realized monitoring Compaq Management Agents and/or CA Arcserve ?
>
> Yes, I know, there's a Win32 Compaq Insight Manager and Arcserve is able
> to notify by fax, mail, printer and so on, but I'd like to have an
> "All-in-one-Solution" based on Nagios to know all about my hard- and
> software.
>
> I read the docs and found a sample entry for checking "Compaq thermal
> condition", but I don't know how to put this into a running Nagios
> config. Further, I browsed through the Compaq MIBs and found 3555
> entries - hard to handle...
>
> I read the docs an found that I have to use snmptrapd.
>
> I browsed through sourceforge and found a nice piece of software called
> snmptt, which can import MIBs, reads config files from HP Open View and
> is able to translate OIDs into human readable format.
>
> But I don't know how to put all these things together. Any ideas?

assuming you have enabled the Compaq Insight Manager and have net-snmp
installed on the Nagios host, you sohould be able to use the
check_compaq_thermal_condition as is.

A lot of the other MIB entries in Insight are based on tables (eg. CPU
with one row foreach CPU).  Currently you have to use a particular
instance - a row/column entry - using check_snmp and comare it against a
warning/critical threshold.  This means that you need the column OID and
the instance number.  You should be able to get the instance yu are
interested in by running snmpwalk on the column oid.

future versions of check_snmp are rumored to be able to support comparison
across a column (when I get my ass in gear :)

--
-sg