Compiling SSL and LDAP plugins under Solaris

Billy Glenn billy at gotwake.com
Fri Oct 11 22:35:34 CEST 2002

Greetings, Nagios Users and Developers!

I posted this same question a few months back, but received no responses -
I guess I'm relatively alone in the world in running Nagios on Solaris,
AND wanting to check LDAP and HTTPS resources.

Here's the situation:  I'm trying to configure/compile the check_ldap and
check_http (with SSL) plugins, to no avail.  Seems when I run /.configure,
no matter WHAT combination of arguments I give it... it just WON'T find
the required libraries for the two functions, as shown below:

<snip>
checking for main in -lldap... no
configure: warning: Skipping LDAP plugin
configure: warning: install LDAP libs to compile this plugin (see
Requirements).
checking for openssl... no
checking for openssl/x509.h... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
checking for openssl/rsa.h... yes
checking for openssl/pem.h... yes
checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes
checking for openssl/err.h... yes

I've tried every --with-openssl type argument I can come up with, and even
copied libs around to where it appears configure is looking for them
(.e.g. /usr/include/ldap, etc)... but I must confess, I'm not particularly
familiar with all that autoconf macro magic found in the configure script.

Can ANYONE help?  I would be forever in your debt, and praise your name
from the highest mountains.  This is a real show-stopper for my
installation, and I feel SO stupid - but stumped, none the less.

For reference, I performed vanilla installs of OpenSSL and OpenLDAP - they
are installed to the following locations:

OpenSSL:  /usr/local/ssl

OpenLDAP: /usr/local (bin, lib, etc).

After all my attempts at copying libraries around, ldap.h and lber.h (for
example) can be found in the following locations:

/usr/include/ldap/ldap.h
/usr/local/include/ldap.h

At any rate - just trying to provide any/all details I can think of.

Any ideas/suggestions from the community?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Billy