[netsaint] Monitoring services inWin2000 box with NSClient

Trace McQuaig Trace.McQuaig at usunwired.com
Fri Oct 11 19:14:44 CEST 2002

I haven't the slightest idea.  I will however show you how to find out. From
the remade.html that came with nescient:

Services states<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Syntax: check_not -H <hostname> -p <port> -v SERVICE STATE [-d SHOWALL] -l

*	<service> should be the real name of the service, not the displayed
name. You can find this information when going to the registry for the
corresponding service : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

or use the free utility: 'Service Manager NT' :
http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~fsch/english/nttols.htm
<http://www-rnks.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~fsch/english/nttols.htm>

*	-d SHOWALL can be specified if you want to see all tested services
including started ones.

You can specify serveral services in one request. No blank should appear in
the list !

If not all services are running, you get the faulty one(s) and a critical
state.

Example:
./check_nt -H 192.168.1.1 -p 1248 -v SERVICESTATE -d SHOWALL -l
LanmanServer,Schedule

-----------------
Note that the url supplied did not work for me. I searched on google for
"Service Manager NT" The first result is this
http://www.nttools-online.de/deutsch/srvmgr.htm
<http://www.nttools-online.de/deutsch/srvmgr.htm> . The website is not in
english. However the program is. Just scroll to the bottom and click the
link for "Download Service Manager NT". Unzip the file and open the
executable. This program is very powerful when it comes to services. It has
no safe gaurds when you click stop and such. Use caution when clicking
buttons. At the top under the computer selection choose the machine you are
trying to watch service on. The keyname is the name you need to use to watch
your service.

Good luck. I have tons of services monitored in this fashion.

	Trace McQuaig
US Unwired
Systems Engineer
Unix Ninja
MCSE Exchange A+

(o_
//\  "It is all fun and games 'till someone gets a virus."
V_/_     All spelling errors are completely intentional.