Dependancies and VLANs

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Oct 9 15:19:17 CEST 2002

Think of paths instead of parents.

Nagios->switchA->router->everybodyelse

Other systems hanging off switch A should have the router as a parent
unless they are on the same VLAN as Nagios.

I tend to only look at the IP layer (routers and hosts) when setting up
parent relationships. That is because I can reach all my devices
separately through a management VLAN.

Service Dependencies come in handy in this case.

-sg