Dependancies and VLANs

Scott lists.scott at themagicbox.net
Wed Oct 9 13:18:51 CEST 2002

Hi List,

Well, after settingup  Nagios... (Works a treat by the way!!!) I have found a small issue which (knowing my luck has been covered in the past) causes dependancies to fail given a particular scenerio.

Here is the example

Nagios proposes that it is the head of the network (fine), now to get any further around the network nagios links into a switch which in turns connects into a core router. This seems logical at first except for this little problem. Suppose you have other hosts on the switch and they are all talking on different VLans which are defined by this so called core router.. if the core router dies then the remainder of all of my network dies.. the way to get around this seems to be to assign the parent of the core router directly to the nagios server which works, although upon the switch then dying would cause that instance to fail..
Does anybody see the problem here or is it just me and if they do, is there a solution to this little problem?

Hoping that I am not waffling....
Scott