Nagios Mail-From - Address

Sean Knox sean.knox at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 8 19:36:24 CEST 2002

The problem is in the exim config. You need to take a look at the
following pieces of exim.conf:

 From the config file:

# Specify the domain you want to be added to all unqualified addresses
# here. Unqualified addresses are accepted only from local callers by
# default. See the receiver_unqualified_{hosts,nets} options if you want
# to permit unqualified addresses from remote sources. If this option is
# not set, the primary_hostname value is used for qualification.

qualify_domain = <your.domain.here.com> # replace this with a valid domain

View /var/log/exim/mainlog to reveal what's happening. Also check out
the rewrite configuration towards the bottom of exim.conf. Mine looks
like this:

# This rewriting rule is particularly useful for dialup users who
# don't have their own domain, but could be useful for anyone.
# It looks up the real address of all local users in a file

*@sbcglobal.net    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                                                {$value}fail} frFs

end

There are some other minor config changes you can make to tailor your
SMTP settings for nagios. I have exim rewrite the FROM address to be the
location of the monitor site. It's not a valid/real email address, but
it doesn't have to be-- I just need to know where the problem is
occuring quickly.

Exim is  great mail server if you know how to use it properly.

Hope this helps,
Sean