visual/noise notification

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Oct 7 19:34:50 CEST 2002

Regarding sounds, take a look at your cgi.cfg.  This is what I have:

host_unreachable_sound=hostdown.wav
host_down_sound=hostdown.wav
service_critical_sound=critical.wav
service_warning_sound=warning.wav
#service_unknown_sound=warning.wav
service_unknown_sound=qprfade.wav
#normal_sound=noproblem.wav

If you leave your web browser open on a particular screen where it's getting
refreshed fairly regularly (I prefer Tactical Overview, myself) then you'll
be getting buzzed with every refresh if you have anything but a green
status.  (If you search around, you might find other WAV files that are more
to your liking.)

Regarding light devices, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  Is there
something "out of the box"?  No, not to my knowledge.  But the pieces are
there for you to cobble something together.  You'll need to create something
new in misccommands.cfg, for starters.  And that something new will need to
dovetail into something which will directly or indirectly cause a light
device to blink.  Ask yourself this question:  If you take Nagios out of the
equation, do you, today, have any way of causing lights to flash from the
command line?  Solve that problem first, and then yes, Nagios can leverage
it.

But I have to ask this question:  Why?  Why do you need a light to be
blinked?  Do you not notice e-mails coming into your mailbox?  Do you not
have a really persistent pager stuck to your hip at all times?  What about a
cell phone that has support for SMS?  What good will a blinking light do
when you're not at work?

Food for thought.

jc